Incorporating Hargreaves Perkins Insurance Brokers
British Insurance Brokers' Association | Member

Motor Trade Insurance

Motor Trade Insurance

Motor Trade insurance covers businesses from one-man bands with the occasional sale or repair through to main dealers, from working from home to multiple site operations throughout the UK.

Motor Traders may concentrate on private cars or other more specialist areas such as commercial vehicles, high valued and performance vehicles, bodyshop operators, coachbuilders, auto-electricians, security specialists, audio-visual vehicle specialists, agricultural vehicles, motor cycles or vehicle recovery operations etc.

To cater for the wide range of demands and needs by the various sizes and types of motor traders, there is a range of bespoke policies available from a number of insurers.

Rowlands & Hames has access to all major motor trade insurance.


Most insurers offer a ‘combined’ policy incorporating those sections of cover you require, although some insurers still issue separate policies for any ‘road risks’ exposures.

The usual cover/sections are:

  • All Risks – for property/equipment/stock/own and customers’ vehicles etc
  • Computers – to cater for damage to computers and subsequent costs of reinstatement of data and re-networking
  • Busineess Interruption – for loss of gross profit or additional costs
  • Money & Assault – for cash and cash carryings
  • Employee Dishonesty/Fidelity – any losses following theft fraud or dishonesty by employees
  • Wrongful Conversion – protection against the purchase or sale of a vehicle where it is subsequently determined legal title is not correct
  • Employers’ Liability – statutory insurance to protect against claims from employees
  • Personal Accident – protects the firm should an employee suffer an accident (no need for negligence)
  • Business Travel – should any staff travel in the course of their duties
  • Public/Products Liability – for damage to third party property or injury including Servicing & Sales Indemnity & the Merchantable Goods extension and Financial Loss
  • Engineering & Statutory Inspection – to cater for items of pressure or lifting plant, explosion or collapse, any breakdowns and the statutory inspection of the equipment
  • Professional Indemnity – for those motor traders who offer ‘insurance’ products and require PI cover whilst registered by the FSA
  • Commercial Legal Protection – legal costs in defending employment disputes/other disputes and HMRC/VAT investigation additional accountants’ costs
  • Road Risks – allowing the motor trader to drive their own and customers vehicles, generally on a blanket basis, allow loan or hire, providing both damage and liability cover, contingent liability, unauthorised use and legal protection.


Rowlands & Hames is in a position to provide quotations from a wide range of reputable insurers to seek all forms of motor trader.

Contact the Team

Mike Watkinson Dip CII | Account Manager
Mike Watkinson Dip CII


Scroll to Top